1994 Flashback/Anniversary Edition of New Music Friday

 

                Hiya, Kids.  Welcome to this week’s “No” Music Friday.  I look forward every week to New Music Friday on NPR and am constantly dismayed - I cannot believe that Robin Hilton, et al at NPR spend their days (and nights) listening to Hip Hop and overproduced/auto tune pabulum that they pass off as important. Artists whose names (in all caps) read like the latest product from Big Pharma, or better yet simply a typography glyph, I guess it’s my curmudgeon showing.  So in light of this, join me, won’t you, in Old Music Friday in celebration of my Anniversary - as we travel back 27 years and blow the cobwebs off a few (now) oldies. To a time when radio still offered a mix of grunge, rock, hip hop, and Mariah Carey; a world that still offered new music from Prince, Bowie, Cobain and Tom Petty; when everything seemed…well, you know.

                First off, I give you Ben Harper’s Welcome to the Cruel World, his prophetic 1994 debut album. Who knew the title track, “How Many Miles Must We March?” and “Forever,” would still hold such meaning? [As to new Music, there is a 1995 live broadcast/interview from the KSCA Music Hall (Los Angeles) called Gospel Truth from Ben that is worth checking out.]

                Second, and in keeping with the ‘new music’ mood, the new artist of 1994 by far was Beck - January had seen a Limited 10” release, A Western Harvest Moon by Moonlight, and February saw two releases, Stereopathetic Soulmanure, the 25-track lead up to the unexpected success of Mellow Gold.  An isntant favorite of Jennifer’s, I preferred my pop a bit less lo-fi and no one at the time were less lo-fi than The Gin Blossoms, who’s 1992 release New Miserable Experience (it has ‘New” in the title) was still going strong with two new singles getting airplay in early ’94. This album was huge.

                There were new bands - The Cranberries, Green Day and Weezer that would dominate the year, but in the end, none hold a stronger bond in my memory (and my heart) than Together Alone, the fourth album from Crowded House. My wife and I fell in love through the band’s Woodface, but this was the first one that was all ours together and alone - and I’ve got all I want, is that simple enough? [Also, in the ‘As to New Music,’ there are two songs off the upcoming Dreamers are Waiting CD from Crowded House - I can’t wait]

                So until next time, be safe, be kind, and Happy Anniversary M. Soquel, I love you with all the my heart and all the music we share. Peace and Love.

 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THIS IS NO LAUGHING MATTER

"The Special"

CHEMO SABE????