They Go in Threes


As we move through our lives, we mark the places we go and the people that change us on a big map that exists in the back corner of our memory, behind the stacks of old comics we wish we'd never thrown away and the boxes of regrets that we wish we could. We really take note of the people on that map when we lose
them. They are on there for a reason and when they're gone, we note that loss. This past week, has me revisitng that dark corner, as we lost Fess Parker, Peter Graves, and Robert Culp.
As a kid I watched (and played, I admit it) Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone, as well as Mission Impossible (any time I could lay my hands on my Dad's mini reel-to-reel). Both actors are well represented in my DVD collection
as well as my memories. Years ago I found out that Fess was making a persaanl appearance to promote one of his new wines, and best friend in tow, we headed out and found ourselves alone with Fess Parker - yes, we were the only ones there. We talked about wine, acting, and old television. Fess could not have been nicer to grown up little boys who got spend an afternoon with one of their heroes - plus, we got wine.
Also as a kid, I watched a ground-breaking show called I Spy. I didn't know it was (or why) ground-breaking, all I knew was it was good. Then later it was the Harlan Ellison penned Outer Limits episode "Demon with the Glass Hand," that introduced me Robert Culp. As a young actor, I had the pleasure of working with Bob on The Greatest American Hero. But the word pleasure does not really cover it. Bob loved his craft, loved the show, and was one of the most approchable and giving actors I ever worked with. In the late eighties, I wrote an I Spy movie of the week (aka series pilot) for Bob (and two new young actors, hmmmm) with a cameo for Bill Cosby. Despite the fact that it never sold, Bob loved it and was always a big supporter of my career.
RIP all of you, your like will not be seen again.

Comments

  1. You nailed it, Jim, those men really were three of a kind.

    A retro station that fell off the air last year in Austin had been playing Daniel Boone. My Bro observed last week that he'd heard a resemblance between Fess Parker's and Hank Hill's voices -- he tried it out for me by doing Hank saying, 'C'mon, Mingo, let's head home'.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THIS IS NO LAUGHING MATTER

"The Special"

Radio, Radio