"Winter"

I don't know what to do with this, so here it is, the latest morsel served up here in the kitchen for your (or my) entertainment. Not as bleak as it might seem upon the first reading. Enjoy!

"Winter" by James Patrick Lockett


Rain falling like snow.

Clouds of smoke billow from distant chimneys,

as an unseen chill holds me captive,

my mind a prisoner of Winter.

Driving me deeper within

in search of an ember of Hope. . . .

Hope eternal springs t'ward some distant season

The calendar pages, I fear,

will weigh heavy under grey skies,

failing to blow by,

one after the other,

cartoonlike --

as do the seasons I now long for.

Winter,

looms over numbered pages

like primative marks,

scratched onto the wall of a lifer,

never to see the blue of the sky

again.






Copyright 2011. JPL. All Right Reserved. Posted here with my permission.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Don't Think You're Happy Enough! I'm Gonna Make You Happy. . .

"The Special"

THIS IS NO LAUGHING MATTER